Thursday, July 05, 2007

Dance Europe Reviews BRB's Dynamic Dance

Today was the second of five beautiful, creative, solitary days in my studio...working toward my solo exhibition at Francis Marion...finally stitching on operational sewing machines. So far, two In Box pieces and two Stratas are completed. My heart beats in a perfect rhythm. My breathing is easy. Images of art and possible new work lazily float through my imagination as I plan each section of free-motion embroidery.

Days like yesterday and today spell "harmony". I've never been happier. There is total peace in my world. Relaxation is coupled with endeavorer. Quiet. Steady work. Busy hands and a happy heart.

There was even good news along the way. Steve called...knowing I wouldn't mind the interruption. Dance Europe Magazine had arrived with the day's mail. He read the first paragraph to me:

Birmingham Royal Ballet
Dynamic Dance
Birmingham Hippodrome

Choreography is a difficult art. Even professional dancers whose daily work involves making meaning from steps - often steps written by the great masters - can find the choreographic enigma elusive. And being a good dancer doesn't necessarily make it easier. The "dynamic" in the BRB's Dynamic Dance was evident in the brilliant pirouettes of Mathias Dingman and Joseph Caley and the scintillating jetes of Carol-Anne Millar but unfortunately less so in the new choreography.

The brief article...a review of the entire program...went on. It didn't tear the evening to shreds but pointed to problems that even I noted. In the end, the final sentence was: "All things considered, I would rate this programme a success, a very necessary venture providing valuable opportunities to succeed and fail."

So, this is the first mention of Mathias, as a professional dancer, in an international publication. It is positive. We are elated.

5 comments:

Stitching with Schnauzer and Siamese said...

Absolutly wonderful to get such a positive review for Mathias.

I envy you your peace in creativity, something I think we all endoevour to strive for is this "harmony".

Best wishes

Maggie

Stitching with Schnauzer and Siamese said...

Absolutly wonderful to get such a positive review for Mathias.

I envy you your peace in creativity, something I think we all endoevour to strive for is this "harmony".

Best wishes

Maggie

Digitalgran said...

Congratulations to Mathias and his co-dancers. I'm sure you are elated.

Kate North said...

"brilliant pirouettes", eh? Sounds pretty good to me! congrats to him...

Anonymous said...

WOW! How wonderful. I can' wait to see him dance in October, love Mom