Saturday, December 29, 2007

Strata XII or Geodes II


(Above: Strata XII or Geodes II. Click image to enlarge.)

Yesterday Steve and I sent
Strata XI, Geodes to Denton, Texas. It was accepted into "Materials: Hard and Soft", a national juried show. It must arrive between January 2 and 7. All last week I knew I would miss it. I've really liked this piece ever since I made it.

I never liked Strata V, Autumn. So, I decided to create a new "Geode" piece. It fits right into Strata V's frame. I'm planning to significantly alter Strata V...maybe flower foot stitching in cotton and burned? Funny, I don't like the new Geodes nearly as well as the old one even though I added lots of beads and burned out the centers in order to have a void, like a real geode. It will probably grow on me, especially since I'm already making another one in blues and oranges.

The name is a bit of a problem. The first piece was part of my "Strata Series" but now a new series seems to be developing. I could change Strata XI to Geode I, but it is headed to a show with a proper catalog...too late to change the name. Is it really strange to use a title like the one I just used for this post? Any suggestions?

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

Congratulations on making it into Materials: Hard and Soft. I don't think it is strange to name it as you did the post; however, my eyes see "salt crystals" when I look at it. I like it a lot; thanks for the large photos which really allow for a good view and understanding of the art. Happy New Year to you!

Anonymous said...

ok, so livejournal gave me a very old, outdated identity ... sorry. Sign me,
Fulvia Luciano
fulviastudio.com

Unknown said...

It is gorgeous Susan!!!!

Annica said...

Congratulations Susan! It's a wonderful piece!

I've given you a Make My Day Award. Hope you don't mind.

Wishing you a wonderful New Year!

Unknown said...

These are amazing - would love to know how you make them! very inspirational

Emmy said...

congratulations it is wonderful Susan

Happy new Year

Unknown said...

I think the Geodes title is perfect! Congrats on the show. Wonderful work. Have a Happy New Year!

Stitching with Schnauzer and Siamese said...

Wonderful work Susan, I can quite understand that you will miss it whilst it is away. Thank you also for your very kind comments on my blog..... here's wishing you and your family a fantastic, creative New Year... 2008.
Best wishes
Maggie

Kate North said...

It's a wonderful piece, I can see why you miss it. Regardless of the title, I think the piece will be graet in the show. Happy new year, susan!

Nikki said...

I love this piece. I'm still longing for that cup a coffee and free hour so I can look closely at everything and have time to go back and look at all your pieces. I forget so easy, but at least then I have new joy when I look at previous posts.

Dianne said...

I absolutley love this piece. Love how the inner layer of the circles are so delicate....