Friday, September 12, 2008

Siren and Crazy Blues


(Click on image to enlarge.)
I had hoped to "unveil" Buddhist from my Decision Portrait series. It is finished, mounted, and photographed. Yet, I'm waiting to hear from the wonderful fiber artist who provided her image. She's on a camping trip. With her permission, I'll provide her name and website information along with the completed work. I also documented the unique process I used to create a zen Ensō circle that really does look like "wet" painted calligraphy.

In the meantime, I've been busy stitching on Crazy Blues. My other cat, Siren, couldn't be left out of the process....or he simply has to sit wherever Shadow (the other cat) has been. I think the cats are helping with a future, grand "unveiling" by hiding part of the work now! This piece is going to take longer than anticipated. In love with the Indian kantha clothes that Dorothy Tucker showed during a lecture at the Swedish embroidery symposium, I started running stitch all around the xylene transferred portrait of Mamie Smith. It looks and feels like the kantha clothes. I love the results. Yet, this has lead to some other "issues" that will require even more embroidery. Now I know what I'll be doing on the ride to Maine next weekend! I haven't started packing....probably won't until Wednesday morning (we leave Wednesday afternoon)....but I'm not worried now that I know what stitching I'll be doing on the way there!

4 comments:

Sojourner Design said...

I really enjoyed those photos; seems that I'm seeing a few things I haven't seen before. Maybe it's me, maybe it's you; at any rate, I liked it.

Sarah E. said...

I can't wait to see "Crazy Blues" when it's done. I really admire your work!

Wanda said...

I'm glad you have pictures of Siren. They will bring a smile to your face for a long time. Just like pictures of Junior do for me!

Wanda said...

I'm glad you have pictures of Siren. They will bring a smile to your face for a long time. Just like pictures of Junior do for me!