Friday, September 26, 2008

Work Created during the first week at the MacNamara Foundation


(Above: Blood Donor. Stitched words: Saving Lives One Pint at a Time. Xylene transfer on tea-stained muslin. Hand stitched and beaded. 25" x 17" unframed.)
I've settled into the routine of working in the new space and in the midst of the other artists. I've created some work, photographed it, and now it's time to share some of the pieces created thus far.

Above is the first piece I worked on. I'd already created the xylene transfer before leaving South Carolina but hadn't put the layers together or even thought about stitching it. Still, this is a piece in my "Decision Portrait Series" and was something with which I was familiar....something perfect on which to begin working in a new setting.

I'm honored to know this business man who have donated over 75 pints of blood and often holds blood drives in the parking lot of the Biscuit House, a breakfast restaurant he owns. I shot the photo as he stood in the window for "take away" orders.

I've finished Death Wish too but need to email the image to person who submitted the digital data before posting.

(Above: Elements. 13" x 10". Hand stitching on heat transfer painted polyester. Polyester velvet shapes, previously painted Wonder Under...Bond-a-Web....metallic foil, chiffon scarf, free motion machine embroidery, melting.)
I brought along a piece of polyester with a heat transferred architectural design on it. This started an experiment....combining my "Elements of Architecture Series" with bonding and melting. I'm very happy with the results. Generally, I hand stitch these pieces heavily, apply a sheer chiffon scarf on top, and free motion stitch. This time, I didn't stitch every little space but added shapes of polyester velvet then added the Wonder Under, foil, scarf, and finally the stitching.

Continuing my experimental mode and with interest in the natural surroundings, I made three little studies with plant life. Above and below are two small ferns from the woodlands around the MacNamara Foundation. I sandwiched them between previously painted fragments of Wonder Under and chiffon scarves. A snippet or two of fibers and a few strands of angelina were included on one. I put the sandwich on a piece of water soluble, adhesive coated fabric and free motion embroidered. Each was dissolved in warm water. They are perfectly light, diaphanous, samples. I might build on this idea.

(Click on any of the images in this post for an enlargement.)

Above is an autumn oak leaf created like the ferns but using some copper foiling too.

The second piece I created here in Maine was also something with which I am really comfortable. Working in a new setting and among such accomplished artists is more than a bit daunting. Making an "In Box" is sort of like relying on a "security blanket" but I do love making them. I'm planning on creating several small ones too....just because I'll finally have the time to really make smaller works for potential sales. Not everyone needs a big piece and many people have asked if I ever made these in smaller sizes. Now I will.

(Above: Detail of the In Box....I forgot which number was next in the series and my catalog is at home in South Carolina!)


(Above: In Box with Acorn Caps. 13" x 10".)
I also challenged myself to use "something" of Maine when creating an "In Box". Above is the result. There are literally MILLIONS of acorn caps here. I think they are SO CUTE. I discovered that they could easily be fashioned into natural beads. After stitching this small work, I collected hundred of acorn caps and spent last evening turning then into a stash for another piece....I haven't decided what sort of piece but time will tell!

15 comments:

Aussie Jo said...

Susan, you have been so prolific, it must be very conducive to creating there. I love the leaf pieces, very simple but effective.

Magpie's Mumblings said...

Beautiful (and inspiring) work!! Sounds like you are in the perfect surroundings for creativity. Can't wait to see what you do next.

arlee said...

The leaf pieces are SO dreamy---perhaps they could be joined a la "Inbox"?

Micki said...

Love the pieces you are creating.

Guzzisue said...

YOu have been busy!! Beautiful work, love the use of acorn caps - I saw so many when on holiday but couldn't imagine a use for them :-)

Lee said...

all such neat pieces! I love the boxes especially, kinda gives me an idea for gourd...congrats on getting so much done recently :)

Unknown said...

I just ooouuhhhed and aaaahhhhhed my way through this post! I love all the works. I tried to do a sandwiched leaf and it just turned to crumbles. Yours are so beautiful!

Nellie's Needles said...

WOW!

Anonymous said...

Beautiful works, all of them. I find it especially inspiring what you do with melting and layering. I'm in the process of learning that but find it harder to do than it looks. Works like yours are the inspiration that keeps me going with it. I especially like Elements. So many wonderful details.

Anonymous said...

How lovely. Maybe you can figure out something to do with pinecone cobs which the squirrels leave all over our yard. Where did the barn originate? My grandfathers barn was taken apart just like you described and moved to New England. Wouldn't it be funny if...... Mom

Anonymous said...

Susan, This is fantastic! What a beautiful and inspiring place. Showed your leaves on WIS today. Missing you as part of unearth but seeing that you are "unearthing" some beautiful work in Maine. Have fun! Dolly

jonio said...

Fantastic new pieces!!! This is the first chance I've had to sit down and "tour" your site in a while! I love what you're doing!!!

Lauren said...

wow, these in-boxes are AMAZING! must read more of your blog to learn what techniques you used. excellent work -- keep it up and thanks for sharing.

Bernadette said...

I am so glad you are thinking about doing some smaller "in box" pieces. I loved the designs from the moment I saw them at your open studio. I think they will sell like mad! I'll keep my eyes open for them. Bernadette

Wanda said...

Great addition to Decisions. And, yes, I got the color! He sounds, and looks, like a man who loves life. So many thoughts and ideas must be in your head about now. How do you do it?