Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Stained Glass X and new Grave Rubbing Quilt


(Grave Rubbing Quilt Series. Crayon on taffeta. Hand and free motion machine embroidery. 25" x 20 1/4". Vintage buttons. Click on image to enlarge.)

Just put me in a car for a seven-and-a-half to eight hour one-way drive and then back again! I love riding....looking out the window....and especially STITCHING! This newest piece in the Grave Rubbing Quilt series was merely basted before our trip to Washington, DC. My idea of basting is a few lines of free motion stitching...which remain.

(Above: Detail. Click on image to enlarge.)

Since returning home, I added the buttons, cut a vintage tablecloth for the reverse, and buttonhole stitched the edges. Otherwise, the piece was done in the car. That's lots and lots of kantha stitching....running stitches that unite layers of fabric. It's very meditative. Yet, there's something missing....a proper name. I've given the image files the title "Grave" but I don't like it. Since I got such positive feedback (and an excellent name!) for another recent piece, I'm looking for names.....something like Single Stone or Unmarked or.....well....I don't know...that's why I'm asking!


(Above: Reverse. Vintage tablecloth section. Click on image to enlarge.)

This series has so many possibilities and I'm already at work on the next piece. In the meantime, The Just By Faith Shall Live Again was accepted into the National Small Art Quilt Works Exhibit in Groton, NY! I'm over the moon.

(Above: Stained Glass X. Approximately 57" x 17". Click on image to enlarge.)

One more thing is now finished! Stained Glass X has been melted. Two down; four to go....plus framing. I've been experimenting with the lighting on these images. The detail shots look fine. I'm just not convinced the full view is as good as it could be. It's hard to take photos that will make the grade in juried competitions....but I'm learning!

(Above and below: Details of Stained Glass X. Click on images to enlarge.)

6 comments:

lindacreates said...

Congratulations Susan! Well deserved and the stained glass is wonderful. I have no idea on a name, but have no doubt someone will come up with the perfect one.

Sue Krekorian said...

Memories of strangers? Memorials to the unknown?

Stitchety Grub said...

Fantastic work as usual - I always like to pop by and see what you have been doing ...so inspirational thanks for sharing
Britt in West Australia

Wanda said...

Congratulations on the acceptance. and thanks for the link back to it...I couldn't quite remember which one it was. Sorry I just have no suggestions for a name. The stained glass X is awesome! Did Steve listen to his music there and back? I hope so! He's got great taste! I'm crocheting about the ugliest thing you've ever seen!!! Happy Birthday!!

Ruth said...

The name that came to mind is "Reverence".

Aussie Jo said...

I can't resist a challenge!!

Tombs in (or of) time
sepulchre
monumental
resurrected memories

I absolutely love your stained glass windows, what a marathon effort, you are unbelievable.
Cheers
Jo