Wednesday, November 25, 2009

Blues Chapel at the Greater Denton Arts Center, TEXAS!


(Above: Blues Chapel in the Gough Gallery at the Greater Denton Arts Council, Denton, TX. Click on any image in this post to enlarge.)

It is my distinct honor to have Blues Chapel on display at the Greater Denton Arts Council in Denton, TX through January 6, 2010. I've looked forward to this experience for months...and it lived up to and well beyond my wildest dreams. It's said that "everything is BIGGER in Texas"....well, I don't know about the size of things but the quality of everything is definitely BETTER!

Steve and I drove a Penske rental truck loaded with artwork and arrived at the gallery around 10:30 AM last Wednesday. The staff and volunteers were waiting to help unload and install! They were amazing and helped in more ways than I dared imagine. (THANK YOU!) Within no time at all, we were hanging pictures on the wall, placing votive candles around the music stand, and putting the faux-church bulletins and fans on the pews.

(Above and below are images of the installation in progress. The volunteers worked tirelessly. I couldn't have done it without them and the talented staff!)

The Gough Gallery is a perfect setting for my work. The high ceilings and smooth floor immediately took on the atmosphere of a church-like place. The lighting was even more amazing. There were three spot lights for three of the faux-stained glass pieces. The other three were hung on the adjacent wall...creating a total feel of sacred ground.

On the opposite side of the gallery, I positioned the Altar for Forgiveness. The gallery provided the pedestals for the Plexi-glass box and signage.

Before the afternoon was over, everything was in place....

...from the signage on the entrance doors....

...to the exterior signage outside the building.

The exhibition looks wonderful. Below are some of the photos I took.














I can't say enough about the people and town of Denton! While there, I gave two presentations. One was for the museum docents. They were so interested in every part of Blues Chapel and were carefully preparing to take the county's fourth graders through the exhibition. They asked some of the most intelligent and relevant questions, including "What would you like for your work to impress upon fourth graders?" (Answer: Creating art doesn't necessarily require drawing skills.....and that embroidery doesn't necessarily need to be painstaking, perfect, or counted!)

This photo was taken of me with two new friends: Connie Akers and Amanda Johnson. The other presentation was for the public/area fiber artists. There's nothing quite like being surrounded by like-minded stitchers! Amanda wrote about the "openness and encouraging spirit" of this past weekend. Believe me, I felt it too!

The photo above was taken on Denton's town square. Dominated by the late 19th c. courthouse, the square is surrounded by independent businesses (except only one store!) including a Beth Marie's Old Fashion Ice Cream parlor, an enormous used book and record shop, Recycled Books, in the former opera house, and Jupiter House Coffee....where all the town's important wheeling and dealing takes place over great java....and, evidently the freshly squeezed wheat grass!

(Generally, I'm adventuresome....but, no, I didn't sample this! The nice girl behind the counter promised a clear complexion. Fortunately, I don't have to worry about this!)

Denton also provided another interesting graveyard for epitaphs. Until visiting Oakwood Cemetery, I'd never seen a tombstone listing the date for EXECUTION! Still, the ones for infants will always be the most touching....even if the baby never got a name.

All in all, the trip was wonderful. The installation went so smoothly and the exhibition looks great. Everyone was friendly and my only hope is that the art will touch many. It's on view through January 6, 2010. Then, Steve and I will return with the Penske rental truck....and see our new friends again.

By the way....even the graffiti in Denton is charming. The only spray painted symbol I saw was a heart.....a heart in Texas! How perfect!

6 comments:

Christine said...

Susan, that exhibition looks just fantastic, wish I could see it in person, but your photos are nearly as good as being there. I love your attention to detail too, you and I are kindred spirits when it comes to that. Thanks so much for sharing your work, it really is inspiring.
Hooroo,
Christine in Sydney Australia
http://missmuffettwo.blogspot.com/

Magpie's Mumblings said...

It looks wonderful Susan. Big congratulations!!

Julie said...

What an amazing experience and your exhibition looks fantastic and I can feel its energy all the way over here! It has come alive in that setting.

Wanda said...

It's awesome! You are right...the place is perfect for Blues Chapel! It's not cramped or "too close together". It's amazing, Susan. Congratulations! The whole experience sounds wonderful. And I think I would have tried the wheat grass....my skin can always use all the help it can get! Susan...you are at such a good place in your life now. I'm so happy.

arlee said...

looks like the place was made for YOUR art---fabulouso!

Veleta (Sammy) said...

Susan, your art is still so amazing and so inspirational! You inspire me so!!!