Monday, March 22, 2010

Catching up....Part Three: Nottingham

Mathias and Laura-Jane go to work....just like "normal" people. It still seems strange for me, however, to think of "ballet" as "work"....but that's exactly what it is. They get up and go to work! While I'm there visiting, I plan things to do while they're "working". This trip I met up with Guzzisue and Julie in Nottingham. Julie met me at the train station and we walked around the town.....

...past England's oldest pub, Ye Olde Trip to Jerusalem (all photos in this post can be clicked on for enlargement)....

....past the castle and it's Robin Hood sculpture

...and past Anish Kapoor's Sky Mirror.

Sky Mirror is impressive from every conceivable angle! The reflections on the "inside" of the convex/concave shape appear upside down. It's 5.75 x 5.75 x 1.08 meters of stainless steel and was constructed in 2000.

From this side, the "outside" the reflections aren't upside down. Julie and I snapped photos of ourselves looking into the shiny surface.

Unfortunately, these are the only photos we took with one another. The rest of the day was spent in constant chatter about art, fibers and stitch which continued, non-stop through our lunch with Guzzisue. Then....Julie KNOWS WHAT I LIKE.....cemeteries!

Nottingham has two of the nicest, historic cemeteries I've ever seen. It really was like stepping into heaven. They were so large and so full of epitaphs and photo-ops that I came back the next day, alone, to "work" myself.

I guess most people wouldn't consider going to a cemetery to make grave rubbings and collect epitaphs and photographs to be "work"....but, I'm working as a professional fiber artist....so that's exactly what it is. Like ballet, my "work" is different. It is also WONDERFUL. I love every minute....and Nottingham was especially enjoyable.

I've never before seen an angel sculpture with butterfly wings.....

....and I even found the grave of the Sheriff of Nottingham....wrong century for legend, but still pretty cool!

4 comments:

Guzzisue said...

also my favourite cemetary :-)

Julie said...

I am planning to go back to the Rock Cemetary too so I shall look for the angel with butterfly wings. :o)

Wanda said...

Such beautiful pictures. I'm sure even the people who see it everyday would discover something new when looking at your photos.

Julie said...

My husband and i went back to the Rock Cemetery today and my DH had a wonderful time with his camera. I made some grave rubbings and I also found the glove I lost on our visit! How about that!? some kind person had put it where it would be seen near the path.