Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Dining With Friends 2010 Platter and work for the SC Artisan Center


(Above: Fused glass beads attached to a hand-painted platter created by Margaret Nevill and me. This is a donation to the Dining With Friends Dessert Finale benefiting AIDS patients and research. Click on image to enlarge.)

It's been a very busy week. "Short weeks" are always busy! Tomorrow Steve and I head north to a book auction in the Washington, DC area before traveling on to Wayne, PA for the opening of Art Quilts Elements 2010. I can hardly wait to see Father and Mother, my Grave Rubbing Art Quilt, hanging alongside the work of so many talented art quilters and to attend the SAQA symposium on Saturday.

(Above: Margaret and I are putting the finishing touches on our platter. Click on image to enlarge.)

In the meantime, I'm trying to finish up things and pack. One of the just completed projects is my Dining With Friends Dessert Finale platter. I've done a platter for several years. Each one is sold at silent auction to benefit those with AIDS and for AIDS research. This year I collaborated with Margaret Nevill, owner of The Mad Platter. Margaret and I did Julia Cameron's The Artist's Way together...and she purchased a fused glass kiln during the process...which she added to her shop's list of activities. My mother was in town when we created the fused glass pieces...and she helped too! The event is Saturday, April 24th.

(Above: In Box LXIV. Polyester stretch velvet, recycled black felt, previously painted WonderUnder (Bond-a-Web), and chiffon scarves. Free motion embroidery, soldering and melting. Framed: 15" x 17". Click on image to enlarge.)

Another just completed project was getting additional artwork to the South Carolina Artisan Center in Walterboro. I brought six older pieces plus these two new "In Box" pieces. They are framed differently than those in Asheville...thus, slightly shorter measurements! Now....TIME TO PACK!

(Above: In Box LXIII. Same description as above. Click on image to enlarge.)

1 comment:

Wanda said...

The platter is beautiful and goes to such a worthy cause. Years ago, I was given "fish platters" made by two little boys. I think they were probably made at the Mad Platter? I love them to this day and use them regularly and always think of those two little boys who have grown into men. The In Box pieces are fabulous..the same and yet different. Wishing you success at the book auction!