Sunday, May 23, 2010

Lasik Eye Surgery, Decision Portrait


(Above: Lasik Eye Surgery, Decision Portraits. Stitched words: The best thing I ever did for myself. Xylene photo transfer on tea-stained muslin. 25" x 19", unframed; 31" x 25", framed. Hand embroidery. Click on image to enlarge.)

This portrait is of my dear friend Dolly Patton, Executive Director of Saluda Shoals Foundation which supports Saluda Shoals Park ....a wonderful riverfront place with paved and unpaved hiking and biking trails, an environmental center, several picnic shelters, a state-of-the-art conference center, and a kayak/canoe/boat launch. This is a public, non-profit organization. Dolly has been working in the non-profit world for longer than I've known her. (I've known her for over fifteen years.) She writes grants, organizes incredible events, and gives amazing presentations that simply make people want to donate funds. Everything Dolly seems to do is "for someone else" or "for charity" or "to benefit a worthwhile cause". Dolly is one of those super nice people that tries everyday to please every one. Dolly is selflessly nice.


(Above: Lasik Eye Surgery, detail. Click on image to enlarge.)

When I posted the idea for this portrait on the Decision Portrait Series blog, I suggested stitched words reading: 20/20 Vision. I also didn't know that Dolly had undergone this procedure but she follows my artwork. Recently, she was part of my Artist's Way group too. When we talked about this decision, Dolly said she'd worn glasses since grade school. Yet, she wanted to wake up in the morning able to see her alarm clock. She also said....not once but twice...."It's the best thing I ever did for myself".


(Above: Lasik Eye Surgery, detail. Click on image to enlarge.)

This statement struck me with its importance. The decision to have Lasik eye surgery is an optional one. It is something one really does for oneself! It also takes courage. Dolly doesn't often put herself first, but she bravely did when making this decision. I'm not half as nice as Dolly nor am I half as brave. Today I made an eye doctor appointment. It's time for a new eyeglass prescription!

1 comment:

Karina Chiodo said...

It is life-changing, especially if you've spent years wearing them. There is a bit of truth in the adage "(hiding) behind a pair of glasses." Hiding or not, it can be pretty liberating once you can clearly see without them.