Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Presents for Jillian!


(Above: Katie wearing a dry felted scarf of wool and Jillian's hair. Click on image to enlarge.)

I have several projects on the "back burner" at all times. There will never be enough days in my life to finish them all....and I keep adding to the stack....but, every now and then, I really do get one or two of these "special" things accomplished.

Yesterday was such a day! I created two gifts for an amazing friend, Jillian Owens. I met Jillian the day she had her head totally shaved bald for charity. This experience and the images I snapped became my Decision Portrait piece called Bald is Beautiful. To read about this piece, CLICK HERE.


(Above: Beautiful. 13" x 11" unframed; 17" x 15" framed. Click on image to enlarge.)

The first present was this small portrait of Jillian with snippets of her hair tied with perle cotton as embellishments. The second present was a dry felted scarf made using 100% wool fibers and Jillian's hair. It took only about an hour to make using my embellisher. I hope it keeps Jillian warm in the coming winter months as her hair grows out!


(Above: It's So Hard to Say Goodbye, Grave Rubbing Art Quilt. Reverse. Click on image to enlarge.)

I also finally remembered to shot a photo of the back of my latest Grave Rubbing Art Quilt. I added it to an earlier blog post too.....and I added a few detail shots to yesterday's entry....details of my upcoming public art quilt project called Looking For a Mate. Scroll down to view these "mateless" socks!

3 comments:

jilliowens said...

Susan! Oh wow! I am just in awe! Thank you so very much! Words can't express my gratitude! They're both beautiful! Thank you for letting me be a part of your decision portrait series. I am truly honored and humbled. :)

-=Jillian=-

jilliowens said...

Susan! Oh wow! I am just in awe! Thank you so very much! Words can't express my gratitude! They're both beautiful! Thank you for letting me be a part of your decision portrait series. I am truly honored and humbled. :)

-=Jillian=-

Lynn Cohen said...

You are by far the busiest artist I know about! What a person Jillian is to do what she did. And how sweet of you to make her the scarf and the portrait.
I also like the back of the grave quilt. Love your name in the lace circle and those tulips are great too.
ALL your work is wonderful.

How fun to teach at the art school too. Precious little quiltlets they are making at your teaching.