Thursday, September 25, 2014

T'Ain't Nobody's Bizness: Queer Blues Divas of the 1920s

(Above:  Ma Rainey, Bessie Smith, Alberta Hunter, and Ethel Waters.)

Several months ago I was contacted by Robert Philipson of Shoga Films in Oakland, CA.  He wanted to use four of my Blues Chapel portraits in his film T' Ain't Nobody's Bizness: Queer Blues Divas of the 1920s.  We agreed on a price, signed a copyright licensing agreement, and exchanged high resolution images for a check.  Yesterday, my copy of the film arrived.  My work is included in the film an on the DVD cover.  I am so excited and happy to have been part of this project.  The film has already won "Best Short Documentary" at the Out in the Desert Film Festival and was "Runner Up" for LGBT film at the San Francisco Black Film Festival, both 2013.  It has an impressive line up of other film festivals in which it is to appear.  I'm so glad "my girls" got to be in this great production!

3 comments:

Bruce the Great said...

Someday I will have the pleasure of meeting you and seeing you work in person instead of having to read about it.

SUSAN LENZ RULES!

Wanda said...

From coast to coast! What a great Project! I can understand why Mr. Philipson wanted your Girls...they are awesome. I agree wholeheartedly with Bruce Erdman's comment...you RULE!!!

Suzanne Thompson said...

When did you create these? They are obviously your work, but quite different from your more recent work with which I'm familiar. Love these, too!