Tuesday, March 10, 2015

Getting ready for ACC ATLANTA


(Above:  Charm I, Inventory # 3382. Framed: 9 1/2" x 8 1/2". $100.  Click on any image in this post to enlarge.)

The last three weeks have been almost strange.  Why? Well, on one hand there was a lot of time between the ACC (American Craft Council) show in Baltimore (Feb. 20-22) and the upcoming ACC Show in Atlanta (this weekend, Mar. 13-15).  Steve and I had an opportunity to evaluate my booth design, the work presented, and take into consideration good advice offered by more seasoned fine craft artists selling in high-end shows.  Yet, on the other hand, there wasn't much time at all. There was no time to start any major new work. Instead, we had to play "catch up" with our day jobs, custom picture framing.  Plus, artwork was mailed for the invitational Art Quilts exhibition at the Georgetown Art Center in Georgetown, TX.  I wish I could go. It opens on Friday and includes two of my small "Stained Glass" series pieces and several Grave Rubbing Art Quilts.  Other work was sent for the spring Through Our Hands exhibit in the Bilton Craft Gallery in England as well as for the invitational Southern Highlights show at the Ruth Funk Center for Textiles in Florida.  Paperwork and shipping is almost like another "full time" job! LOL!


(Above:  Charm II.  Inventory # 3383.  Framed: 9 1/2" x 8 1/2". $100. Click on image to enlarge.)

There was time, however, to think about the framed brooches I made. (Click here to see them.)  While everyone loved them, no one seriously considered buying them. Sure, everyone thought it was brilliant to display the brooches when not wearing them ... but not enough to take one home.  What to do? Especially considering I have fifteen of them.

I decided to take the brooches to Atlanta ... without the frames ... at a lower price. $50 each.  Then I made little "stained glass" fiber pieces for six of the frames.  These are now priced at $100.  We'll see how this format fairs during the coming weekend.  (Two are pictured above.  Scroll down for the other five.)


(Above:  The Key to Happy Thoughts.  Framed: 10 1/4" x 9 1/2".  Click on image to enlarge.)

Last week Linda Bartone brought one me one of her special keys.  She commissioned me to turn it into The Key to Happy Thoughts.  This is the result.  It was fun to make the colorful, dry-felted background and cording.  I added beads and a few sequins for sparkle.


(Above:  Linda Bartone with her new artwork.)

I also had to clean up my studio.  It was a disaster of epidemic proportions!  Try to imagine a polyester velvet bomb exploding inside a confined space.  


(Above:  In Box CLXXVII. Inventory # 3388. Framed 33 1/2" x 21 1/2". $525.)

Before cleaning, however, I finished another large "In Box Series" piece.  Speaking of "cleaning", Steve and I decided that the three weeks between the two ACC Shows was a great time to attempt a little down-sizing.  We've been gathering piles and boxes of "stuff" in almost every room in the house.  It will all be hauled off to Bill Mishoe's auction tomorrow morning in the rental cargo van.  (Believe it or not, a week rental was cheaper than a four-day rental for the same van.  Thus, we are using it to de-clutter the house!)  By tomorrow afternoon, I'll be packing the 10' x 10' Pro Panel booth, my artwork, and everything that will go to Atlanta.  The preview party is on Thursday night.  The show runs Friday through Sunday.  I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the weather hold out and the show attendance brings plenty of happy people! 

(Above: Charm VI. Inventory # 3387. Framed: 9 1/2" x 8 1/2". $100. Click on image to enlarge.)
 I am linking this post to Nina-Marie's "Off the Wall Fridays", a site for sharing fiber artwork.
(Above: Charm III. Inventory # 3384. Framed: 9 1/2" x 8 1/2". $100. Click on image to enlarge.)

(Above: Charm IV. Inventory # 3385. Framed: 9 1/2" x 8 1/2". $100. Click on image to enlarge.)

(Above: Charm V. Inventory # Framed: 9 1/2" x 8 1/2". $100. Click on image to enlarge.)

4 comments:

mumbird3 said...

Love the key to happy thoughts - very nice!

Shannon said...

Good luck at the show! Sorry the framed brooches didn't go well- It's a cool idea, but I love the things you've put in the frames instead.

Kaja said...

I have just looked Bilton up and it is within reach for me, so I will be able to see some of your work in person. I am quite excited! Hope the show goes well for you.

Wanda said...

Great idea for a quick change as far as the brooches go. That's just another thing awesome about you...you can do something like that! I am thinking of you and sure hope Atlanta was great! Everything happens for a reason....that's why the van cost the same for a week....so you could get a little spring cleaning done! Good for you!