Monday, December 26, 2016

Lancet Window commissions


(Lancet Window LXXXV, framed and ready to be shipped! Click on any image in this post for an enlargement.)

Before going to PLAYA, the marvelous art residency program in the remote Oregon Outback, I was commissioned to make two Lancet Window for two different gentlemen living in two different states.  Both were special holiday gifts for their wives.  Obviously, I wasn't going to blog them until after Christmas!  I can now share them. 

(Above:  Lancet Window LXXXIV, under construction.)

Both men were able to select a basic design from my "sales blog".  I can guarantee the size, price, and the basic shapes.  The details and colors naturally vary from piece to piece because everything is cut by hand from whatever stash I happen to have at that time.  The first gentleman wanted something extremely special added to the piece ... their favorite expression and musical line. So Happy Together.  I suggested this design because I knew just where to put these words!  I also documented the process of making each piece and sent this information along with the final work.  These are the photos.  Above is the first layer.

(Above:  Lancet Window LXXIV, under construction.)

This is how the piece looked after all the polyester stretch velvet shapes were fused together.  Please notice the small arch at the very bottom.  This is where I planned to stitch the special phrase.


Next came strips of chiffon scarves.  This thin layer allows my sewing machine to easily glide over the uneven surface.


Here's the bottom ... stitched with the special words.


Finally, I'm out in the garage melting holes with my soldering irons and zapping it with an industrial heat gun.  Please notice, I always wear a ventilator mask due to the toxic fumes.

(Above:  Lancet Window LXXXIV, framed 31" x 11".)

(Above:  Lancet Window LXXXV, under construction.  All the polyester velvet shapes have been cut and fused together, layer upon layer.)

(Above:  Lancet Window LXXXV, under construction.  Strips of chiffon scarves have been added to the top.)

(Above:  Lancet Window LXXXV, being stitched.)

(Above:  Back in the garage.)

(Above:  Lancet Window LXXXV, framed 31" x 11".  Finished!)

I'm very, very grateful to these two, long distant commissions.  They made my holidays special too!

4 comments:

flspirit said...

Awesome, Susan! Although I haven't seen all your creations, this appears to be a design that expand past creations. Love these!
Sheilana Massey

Christine said...

Beautiful artwork. There are two very happy ladies out there.
Best wishes for 2017 with lots more happy memories and great works.
X

Christine said...

Beautiful artwork. There are two very happy ladies out there.
Best wishes for 2017 with lots more happy memories and great works.
X

Wanda said...

Wonderful! I love the keys and would imagine that each person can find the perfect one for them. I see similarities between the keys and the Decisions portraits.Am I the only one that does?