Friday, June 02, 2017

My Button Obsession Continues

(Above: The Button as Art VI.  10 1/2" x 14" unframed; 21" x 23 1/2" framed.  Inventory # 4018. $225 framed.  Original chromolithograph from the World's Columbian Exposition 1893: Art and Architecture published in 1894 by George Barrie fused to fabric and altered with hand stitched assorted vintage buttons.  Click on any image to enlarge.)

Two-and-a-half weeks ago I blogged about four pieces, The Button as Art I - IV.  (Click HERE for that post.)   At that time, I sort of remembered once owning a couple color images from the Columbian Exposition 1893 but couldn't put my hands on them.  A week later while looking for something else, I found them!  I knew just what to do!

(Above:  Antique images fused to fabric.)

My dry mount press was turned on and out came the Fusion 4000.  Here they are fused to old fabric, ready to be trimmed and stitched.  Stitching buttons has become my every evening past time while watching television with Steve.  I love this daily process of winding down.

(Above: The Button as Art V.  10 1/4" x 15 1/2" unframed; 19" x 24" framed.  Inventory # 4017. $225 framed.  Original chromolithograph from the World's Columbian Exposition 1893: Art and Architecture published in 1894 by George Barrie fused to fabric and altered with hand stitched assorted vintage buttons.)

I particularly liked this image because I used some of the doll cloths buttons on the nude and semi-nude pictures as if fig leaves.

(Above: The Button as Art VII. 10 1/2" x 13 1/4" unframed; 21" x 23 1/2" framed.  Inventory # 4019. $225 framed.  Original chromolithograph from the World's Columbian Exposition 1893: Art and Architecture published in 1894 by George Barrie fused to fabric and altered with hand stitched assorted vintage buttons.)

The best part of my current button obsession is the fact that creative energy is really, really flowing.  One idea leads to the next ... or to several new ideas.  Right now I'm stitching a police practice shooting target with colorful buttons arranged in an iconic bulls-eye but also working with images of mouths onto which I will stitch more buttons.  Even my husband Steve has been making suggestions for new work!  

(Above:  Touché the Button.  16 1/2" x 11" unframed; 25" x 19" framed. $225 framed.  Inventory # 4016.  Original chromolithograph from the World's Columbian Exposition 1893: Art and Architecture published in 1894 by George Barrie fused to fabric and altered with hand stitched assorted vintage buttons.)

I couldn't resist altering this image.  It such a perfect place for a button!  I hope this obsession continues for many more weeks.  After all, I've accepted a national park art residency at Homestead National Monument for the end of July! 

(Above:  Wall of button inspired artwork at Mouse House.)

Generally I don't frame all my own artwork.  Many think that because I own a custom picture framing shop I do ... but who has room for all of it?  Yet, it was time for some new things on one wall.  Plus, this weekend, I'd cleared a 10' space in order to create an arrangement from my Wall of Ancestors for the Ironic Designs show at the Gadsden Museum of Art.  There were framed mirrors and other things leaning up against every wall.  The place was a mess.  It was time to really "shake things up" and rehang EVERYTHING ... floor to ceiling ... and have one nice space to devote to some of the button inspired pieces.  I think it looks very nice!  I love buttons!

1 comment:

Norma Schlager said...

As another button affectionardo, I just love what you have done and I like the way they look all together. You have a very fertile imagination!