Friday, August 04, 2017

National Quilt Museum, St. Louis Arch, and new work!

 (Above:  My Flood Clothesline and me at the National Quilt Museum in Paducah, Kentucky.)

After blogging daily from my art residency at Homestead National Monument in Nebraska, it is hard to believe that I haven't posted in nearly a week ... especially since so much has happened!

I left Nebraska last Monday morning while my husband flew into St. Louis.  By the late afternoon we were at the Gateway Arch.  We had a 6:40 ticket time to ascend.


This left time for us to watch the movie in the underground theater.  The movie showed the history of the arch and the 1960s construction.

 

The Gateway Arch is really, really high.  I wasn't a bit nervous about going up or looking out over the city.


The view was terrific.  The movie, however, was definitely scary.  Those talented engineers and construction experts were walking around on suspended I-beams.  Steve laughed as I wiggled uncomfortably in my seat.  I'm not really "afraid of heights", I just don't like them that much!


Hilariously, I had no problem looking straight down in real life.  The movie ... well ... it was fascinating.  At least the parts I could manage to watch were good! LOL!

From St. Louis we drove to the National Quilt Museum in Paducah, Kentucky to see H2O!, a SAQA (Studio Art Quilt Associate) juried exhibition in which my Flood Clothesline appears.  Ordinarily, photos aren't allowed.  We asked.  The executive director said "yes", came out, and took a few photos too!  It was awesome!  We got home later that night ... Tuesday!

(Above: Window CXXXIII.  Unframed:  13" x 11".  Framed:  17" x 15".  Polyester stretch velvets on recycled black industrial felt with free-motion embroidery and melting techniques.)

Since Wednesday I've been trying my best to catch up on all the custom picture framing orders Steve accepted while I was gone.  I did, however, have time to finish up four pieces that were mostly finished before I left.  These are them!

(Above: Window CXXXIV. Unframed:  13" x 11".  Framed:  17" x 15".  Polyester stretch velvets on recycled black industrial felt with free-motion embroidery and melting techniques.)


(Above: Window CXXXVI. Unframed:  13" x 11".  Framed:  17" x 15".  Polyester stretch velvets on recycled black industrial felt with free-motion embroidery and melting techniques.)

 
 (Above: Window CXXXV. Unframed:  13" x 11".  Framed:  17" x 15".  Polyester stretch velvets on recycled black industrial felt with free-motion embroidery and melting techniques.)

I am linking this blog post to Nina-Marie's "Off the Wall Fridays", a site for sharing fiber arts. 

1 comment:

Caryquilter said...

I watched your Quilting Arts segment yesterday with the peacock feather. So interesting. Loved it.