Monday, December 04, 2017

My Teeth

(Above:  My Teeth, 25" x 25".  Digital X-rays transferred to fabric with free-motion and hand stitching.  Click on any image to enlarge.)

I'm lucky.  Dr. Walter "Jack" Turbyfill is my dentist. If it weren't for him, I would have ended up with dentures (his specialty) years ago. Instead, I have a mouth full of caps, crowns, an implant, several root canals, and some sort of "bridge" between two of my upper front teeth.  I also have a bite plate which I dutifully wear every night.  When traveling, my bite plate is packed in my carry-on luggage because it was once in a checked bag that was temporarily "lost".  I woke up the next morning with aching jaws.  I'm a "clincher".  Dr. T knows it.  He knew just what to do to save my teeth. 

 (Above:  My Teeth, detail.)

Dr. T is an expert in complete dentures and removable prosthodontics. Although I don't think he's taking on any new patients, he still maintains a private practice in restorative dentistry.  My case is a full-mouth restoration.  He's been practicing since the week before I was born.  This coming June will mark fifty-nine years.  I am very, very thankful that Dr. T "flunked retirement" at least twice.  Every year or two, he gets out his specialized camera to snap photos of my teeth ... for his lectures ... to show how a full mouth restoration should look after (now) eighteen years.  Dr. T lectures all over the USA.  He's always been on the cutting edge of dentistry.

(Above:  My Teeth, detail.)

So, it shouldn't have surprised anyone when he bought a 3D imagining X-ray machine.  Just because he's over eighty doesn't mean he doesn't still want the latest, greatest, most advanced new thing in his industry.  Since all new X-ray machines are digital, I asked for jpegs of my mouth in order to create this unique art quilt.  The ones in the middle are from the new machine.  Now, how cool is that!

(Above:  My Teeth, reverse.)

I didn't have a vintage textile featuring a tiny, white fluffy dog (like Dr. T's "pride and joy" pets).  So, I had to settle for a white cat on the reverse!  I had a lot of fun stitching this piece.

I am linking this post to Nina-Marie's "Off the Wall Fridays", a site for sharing fiber arts!

3 comments:

Ann Scott said...

Well, that is just too clever! I'll never look at tooth x-rays the same again. Thanks for sharing.

quiltedfabricart said...

Unique is right! I don’t know as if I would want it hanging in my living room but it sure would be a conversation starter.

Norma Schlager said...

What a clever idea. I think your dentist should buy this quilt.