Saturday, April 28, 2018

The Smithsonian Craft Show and a new article about my work and me!

(Above:  View of the Smithsonian Craft Show inside the gorgeous Building Museum in Washington, DC.)

I'm blogging from Washington, DC and the Smithsonian Craft Show.  The experience is everything I hoped it would be.  One couple browsing down my aisle commented that the artists selected for this opportunity are the "cream-of-the-crop" and that there isn't any "skim milk" in the building.Several pieces have found permanent homes.  I'm having a wonderful time talking to all sorts of people.  Tomorrow is Sunday, the last day.  I will be sad to tear down my booth and tired after all the work it will take to load everything back into the cargo van.

 (Above:  Me in Booth 110 on the evening of the fancy gala opening.)

On Wednesday evening there was a very fancy gala. Everyone was dressed up and it was a perfect way to start the show.  All the artists in my immediate area are so nice, friendly, and exceptionally talented.  We are having a good time together.

(Above:  Appropriately one-third of the show.)

Exhibitors are welcome in a special lounge on the second floor.  The walkaway goes entirely around the spacious atrium.  From this vantage point, one can look down into the booths.  My booth is in the upper right corner of the photo above.  While here in DC, Steve and I also visited the National Gallery of Art to see the Sally Mann exhibition and to the Smithsonian Museum of American Art and Portrait Gallery to see the recently unveiled presidential portrait of Obama and Michelle Obama's first lady portrait.  They both look great!  We also saw the show on Diane Arbus.

Another wonderful thing happened too!  A lovely University of South Carolina journalism major finished an posted a great article on my work and me!  The link is below!
http://columbiavoice.org/columbia-fiber-artist-susan-lenz/

I am linking this post to Nina-Marie's "Off the Wall Fridays", a site for sharing fiber arts.
  

1 comment:

Ann Scott said...

Thank you for sharing part of your fantastic recent experiences. Such a gorgeous space and your booth (and you) look wonderful. I enjoyed reading and listening to your interview. It is always nice to learn what makes a successful artist tick and what inspires them. Your art is so unique and beautiful (tactile, textural, and colorful) I can't imagine there being criticism!